Monday, August 4, 2008

I think I'm falling apart...

Mommy Update: So for the last year or so I've been having pain in my upper right side. I went last year for a gallbladder ultrasound to see if I had stones. At that time, I had what they call "gallbladder sludge".

Gallbladder Sludge

Well, the pain has been more intense and comes around more often. So, my OB sent me to get another ultrasound done. Now, my gallbladder sludge has "updated" itself. It's no longer sludge but gravel. So it's slowly forming into stones. On top of that, like that wasn't enough "bad news"... I also have a kidney stone. But to make matters worse, I have what they call Medullary Sponge Kidneys.

Medullary Sponge Kidney - is a congenital defect (that is present at birth) of the kidneys. One of every 100 to 200 people have some form of this disease. The kidneys filter urine from the blood and direct it down tiny collecting tubes toward the ureters (ducts that carry urine from the kidney to the bladder). These tiny tubes gradually join together until they reach the renal pelvis, where the ureters begin. As the tubes join, they are supposed to get progressively bigger as they get fewer in number. In medullary sponge kidney, the tubes are irregular in diameter, forming pools of urine along the way. These pools encourage stone formation and infection.

An Ultrasound of a Normal Kidney

An Ultrasound of a Medullary Sponge Kidney


Also, a Medullary Sponge Kidney looks more like "swiss cheese". Making it harder for the kidney stone to pass through.


I've been referred to a General Surgeon and I go see him today! Wish me luck!! But I've been told more then likely they will wait until after the baby is born to do surgery. Hopefully, there won't been any problems transferring medical records over to my new doctors in Corpus Christi, Texas. Cause I'm not due until December 6th and we are moving at the end of September.



2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

OH BUMMER! I hope it all works out and that it gets taken care of. What a total bummer to have to worry about this while you're pregnant!

smRteepantz said...

ummm... ouch?! hello! that looks so painful. i be praying for your sanity ;)