Monday, December 1, 2008

Journey through the NICU...

Now that baby girl is home, healthy, and snuggled safely in our arms. I'm finally able to talk about our experience in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
AND to make things clear... I was not at all "embarrased" or "ashamed" of my little girl or the fact that she was in the NICU. I was scared, shocked, and uncertain about what was going on. And that is why I haven't wanted to talk about it until now. I have never had to endure anything like this... it felt like my heart was getting rip from my chest! Knowing that there is something wrong with your child and not being able to do anything about it-- is a horrible feeling.

Anyways, after a healthy uncomplicated pregnancy and birth... Daniella Jade was born on Friday, November 21st, 2008 @ 12:48 pm. Weighing 6 lbs, 2oz. and was 19" long. She passed her APGAR test with flying colors and everything appeared to be great. Until later that night... her lips started turning a bluish-purple color and was making little moaning noises, like she was having a hard time breathing. The nurse also noticed that she wasn't maintaining her body temperature. So she was taken to the nursery for observation over night.

The next morning (Saturday the 22nd), the nurse brought her to see me for a couple minutes before I was taken into surgery. Everything appeared to be fine, so they took her back to the nursery while I was taken to the OR to get my tubes tied. When I got back to my post partum room, Shane was waiting for me... he told me that Daniella had been moved from the nursery to the Level 2 nursery for closer observation. That she was still having a hard time breathing...

By the end of the night she was in the NICU. I can not tell you how heartbreaking and devistating it is to see your baby hooked up to all kinds of different monitors. After performing an x-ray they found out... she had what they call PNEUMOTHORAX to her left lung, which is a collection of air in the space around the lungs. Some symptoms associated with this is chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue and a bluish tint to the skin caused by a lack of oxygen. Which she had. They immediately inserted a chest tube, on her left side, between her ribs and the space around her lung for draining. She also had an IV hooked into her umbilical cord for antibiotics and a nasal cannula to deliver supplemental oxygen; at 80%. (The average healthy person breaths 21% oxygen). On top of all that, she was hooked up to a machine to monitor her heartrate, respiratory rate, pulse, and SpO2 levels (oxygen).

On Sunday the 23nd, I was discharged from the hospital. Which should have been an exciting day but it wasn't. It was so hard leaving the hospital without my baby. I've never to experience leaving behind my child. I felt like my heart was getting ripped from my chest and all I could do was cry...


Luckily, Diane (Shane's mom) was here to help look after Isabella and Makayla. So I could spend extra time up at the hospital with Daniella. Thank you again, Diane for coming out and helping so much. We truly appreciate it!! :)

By Monday the 24th, she was finally able to eat via tube that was inserted into her mouth. I started pumping the night prior so that she could have all the nutrients breastmilk has to offer. Many of the components in breast milk help protect against infection and diseases. It's also easier for a baby to digest and since she was having respiratory problems, I thought the easier things are for her the better. :) I had been planning on breastfeeding her from the beginning anyways.

Day-by-day, she improved... a little at a time. On Tuesday the 25th, they were finally able to remove her chest tube and she was down to 25% oxygen.
By Wednesday the 26th, Daniella was down to 21% oxygen (which is what we breath) and the nasal cannula was removed later that night. Her feeding tube was also remove and she was eating on her own!!

On Thanksgiving (Thursday the 27th), I went up to the hospital in the morning to get things in order for me to "room in" with Daniella that night. With them planning on discharging her on Friday the 28th. I took up the offer to "room in" with her. It's a program the hospital offers to parents with babies in the NICU. They provide you with a complimentary post partum room for you to take care of your baby in, just as if you were at home. Except its in a hospital setting just in case something happens within the first 24 hours. Plus, the nurses teach you how to properly take care of surgical sites, emergency procedures at home, who to call and when, feeding intake, diaper output, safety at home, etc. They give you a sheet to fill out to make sure your baby is eating and voiding properly. I also took a parental CPR training course, as well. It basically provides you with the information needed to take care of your baby, once released from the hospital and gives you an all around feeling of comfort in taking your child home.

The next day, Friday the 28th, after spending 7 days in the NICU; basically the first week of her life in the hospial. She was discharged and we were finally able to take our sweet baby girl home!! That was by far the best feeling ever!!!! Here are a couple pictures from that day:



Our beautiful little girls. God has truly blessed us!! <3

A VERY proud mommy!!

A VERY proud Daddy!
Daddy, Makayla and Daniella. Makayla is such a great big sister. So caring, thoughtful, and protective. Always wanting to help. It's so sweet how much she loves her baby sister.

She looks A LOT like Shane. What do you think? :)
She is so tiny. Born 6 lbs, 2.0 oz... her discharge weight was 6 lbs, 1.9 oz. and her size newborn clothes were way to big. But she still looked as cute as ever in them. :)

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

SOOOO PRECIOUS!!! I am so glad you guys made it through such a rough week of NICU! You are a real trooper for hanging in there through such a hard time. Daniella is a DOLL--just like your other girls! I am sure she will bless and enrich your lives in ways you never knew.

smRteepantz said...

oh Tanya, made me cry! i'm so sorry you had to go through that, how hard on you and the gang. i'm glad things went well for you, God really has blessed you with a beautiful family ;)

...and Daniella, i vote that she looks just like daddy. amazing the resemblance! she's adorable.

love ya chica!