Warning: This may be "to much information" for some-- but I couldn't resist sharing!! : )
You know how they say, "Kids Say The Darndest Things!"... well, they do!! And Makayla not only proved that to me once but she did it twice. Only the second time happened to be in front of complete strangers at the Miramar Family Practice Clinic.
Here's the Story...
A week ago, the girls and I were sitting on the couch together watching T.V. As I'm flipping through the channels, Makayla, instantly notices a baby. For those of you who don't know, SHE LOVES BABIES!! So I go back to that channel and realize that it's, A Baby Story on TLC. Which happened to be my all time favorite show during both of my pregnancies. Anyways, not thinking anything of it... we sit there and watched it. I mean... they don't "show" anything. So there was nothing for me to worry about.
Well... the next day, I just so happen to have my "annual" appointment with the gynecologist. Yay for me, right? NOT! I absolutely despise going. It creeps me out and makes me cringe. But it's something that I gotta do. So I just remind myself to "Put my big girl panties on and suck it up!" Anyhow, as I'm getting ready for my appointment-- Makayla walks up to me. And this is how our conversation goes:
Makayla: "Mommy, you have to go to the doctor today?"
Me: "Yep, I sure do.
Makayla: "Why mommy? Are you sickie?"
Me: "No honey, I'm not sick. Mommy is just going to talk to the doctor."
Makayla: "Oh..."
Assuming our little conversation was over... I asked her to get her shoes and put them on. She leaves the room and I go back to what I was doing. Already a little fustrated because we were running behind schedule. Shane wasn't even home yet to pick us up and I couldn't get a hold of him. Along with what felt like a million other things... Makayla comes strolling back into my bedroom five minutes later wanting to start her whole "Mommy your going to the doctor's?" conversation all over again. On top of that, she still didn't have her shoes on and somehow during the short time she was looking for them-- she lost her socks, that I had already put on her feet once.
I don't like being late and I hate feeling rushed. I was already a little irritated-- when she asked me again:
Makayla: "Mommy, are you sick?"
Me: "No, Makayla! Mommy is not sick."
Makayla: "Why are you going to the doctors?"
Without any hesitation. I burst out with...
Me: "Makayla! The doctor needs to look at mommy's pee-pee!" (That's what she calls it.)
Me: "Makayla! The doctor needs to look at mommy's pee-pee!" (That's what she calls it.)
I immediately, tried to cover it up. But I was to late and the look on her face... was PRICELESS! It was mixture of being shocked, happy, and a little curious all at the same time. Her eyes instantly got big and bright... like she was completely overjoyed. This is how she responded:
Makayla: "REALLY!" -- full of excitement and with a HUGE smile on her face-- "Does that mean there is FINALLY a baby in there for me?"
Trying to come up with something clever to say to her... she just stares at me anxiously with little puppy dog eyes. Hoping, just hoping I would tell her yes. It was strange to hear something like that coming from my 3 year old. Plus, I didn't know if I should burst out laughing hysterically because the way she said it was so darn funny and cute at the same time or if I should be compassionate about it. So, I decided to tell her calmly:
Me: "Sorry sweetheart but mommy doesn't have a baby in there."
Makayla: "Awww... man!!"
Well, if that wasn't ackwardly entertaining enough, I don't know what is. Oh wait-- YES I DO! Once we get to the Naval Air Station and arrive at the clinic the girls are instantly glued to Jay Jay the Air Plane on T.V. and Shane waits with them once I get called back. As I let the doctor "do her thing" so that I can get this humiliating annual ritual over with... I couldn't help but think about Makayla and how disappointed she was in me. I mean what parent wants to let down their child? I don't! I felt horrible but what was I suppost to say? I'm not ready for anymore kids and to be honest, I'm not sure if I want more. Isabella and Makayla are my whole world and-- I feel complete with it just being the four of us.
Anyways, I finish with my appointment and walk into the waiting area. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse... Makayla-- out loud in front of everyone in the waiting room decideds to ask me:
Makayla: "Hey mommy, is that doctor done looking at your pee, pee?"
Lets just say that was my first and last appointment there. Thank God we're moving soon and we get new doctors. I guess getting embarrassed in front of complete strangers because your toddler sold ya out is the price to pay for loosing your patience and telling her what you really were going to the doctor for. : )


2 comments:
OH MAN! That is SO humiliating!!! I was SO excited for my kids to talk and interact with me, and now I am wondering what on earth I got myself into!! :)
oh my GOSH! i love it, i love it, i love it!! they do say the darndest things, the great part is that we are the ones who get to laugh about it. haha :) this is hilarious. you should send it into Readers Digest. really! you should!
Post a Comment