Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Duo Dental Appointments...

Well, Makayla is now officially a member of the "toothed brigade", she had her first dental appointment today. We went to see Dr. Ilse Savelli... and she was so good with the girls! Of course, like most kids, Makayla was slightly freaked out at first by having to lying down in the chair. But almost immediately realized that "everything was going to be okay." Heck, who wouldn't want to lay down and have someone else clean your teeth with "princess" toothpaste?


Dr. Savelli was very patient with her and she got a good, clean bill of health. Plus, I finally got to see her teeth-- all of them! Before whenever I would try to look inside her mouth... she would clamp down like a dog on a bone. :)


Makayla did so well for her first visit! She let the dental hygenist give her a full cleaning, the dentist examine her teeth, and was even a good sport about getting some fluoride painted on. All while wearing a cute pair of sunglasses-- so the light didn't bother her eyes. She made quick friends with the dental office staff!!

Teeth look healthy, nothing to worry about in the near future. She got a goody bag with a new toothbrush, floss, & toothpaste and also got to pick out a couple toys at the end of her visit.




Isabella also visited the dentist today! Nothing like back to back appointments, huh?


Isabella eagerly followed the dental hygenist back to the room, hopped up onto the chair, happily took x-rays, all while chattering away the entire time. They hygenist commented on her bravery and having a strong will, "she is a strong child" she told me in her little mexican accent. She then showed Isabella, Mr. Rinse and Mr. Straw and how they worked. Even though this wasn't Isabella first visit she was still pretty fascinated by them. Dr. Ilse Savelli also let Isabella pick out a toothbrush to put in her goody bag too. Everything was going well-- as the dentist began to raise the chair to begin the cleaning Isabella started to giggled, she thought it was hilarious! Then of course, once the dentist started checking her teeth... we get the "bad news". :(


Honestly, is it too much to ask to have two kids with perfect teeth and no cavities? Obviously, it is! This poor kid... she's only five and a half and has already had a root canal and NOW she is scheduled to get a molar extracted and in it's place will be a space maintainer. Pictured below:



I just feel really bad because it could've been prevented! According to our new pediatric dentist... the last dentist we took Isabella too didn't perform the root canal procedure properly. Therefore, causing the "filing" to loosen itself from the tooth which then caused root damage to one of her baby molars.

Can we say, "ahhhh?".


Well, come to find out the dentist we took her to in San Francisco got fired and is no longer practicing. United Concordia sure does refer you to "winners", huh? Anyways, even though our last pediatric dentist was a dud. I'm confident that our new one actually knows what she is doing and talking about. Thank God!! Unfortunately, for Isabella now she has to do through MORE dental work.

Even after everything she has had to go through with her teeth. She is still so good for the dentist and actually likes going. I just don't know what to do. I mean, I have always had good teeth, never needed braces, nothing. I guess she ended up with "the crappy teeth gene". :( I just don't understand... I'm constantly brushing the girls teeth, althought I don't floss their teeth. Then again I don't floss my teeth either... as much as I should. Honestly, who flosses their teeth everyday? If you do-- Congratulations! I, on the other hand, am a mother of two very energetic little girls... I'm surprised I am able to get half the things I do, done.

But I am making a vow, right here, to TRY harder to floss mine and the girls teeth at least once a day if not every other day. If I start small with a reasonable "goal", I will be able to work my way up. You know what I mean? :)

ALL-IN-ALL... todays visit was very productive. Isabella has her appointment on April 3rd, 2008 and after that we will be set "dentally" until September. When we have to go back for our 6 month check up and cleaning. Yahoo!!! :)

Now... bring on the doctors appointments!! (March 27th, 2008)

No comments: